Have you heard about the This or That questions game? It’s a super fun way for kids to chat, share, and learn more about their friends. These questions give two cool choices, and all you have to do is pick your favorite! Whether you’re at home, in the classroom, or on a playdate, this game is a great conversation starter. Let’s dive in and discover more about this exciting game and how it can light up our little ones’ faces with smiles!
What Are This or That Questions?
“This or That” questions are a fun game based on simple questions where you have to choose between two different things. Imagine someone asks you, “Would you rather have ice cream or cake?” and you get to pick your favorite!
These questions help start conversations and are great for getting to know new friends or students better. It’s an easy way for kids to practice their social skills and develop their own sense of self as they answer the questions themselves.
Personally, I love to play this game with my daughter when we are waiting in line at the grocery store or waiting in the doctor’s office. They are also really popular in school because they’re easy for kids to answer and make talking and sharing in class or at home super fun!
Why Are They Popular?
“This or That” questions are popular because they are super fun and easy to answer! You just pick between two options, like choosing between apples or bananas. Kids love them because they can share their favorites and learn about their friends’ choices too.
Teachers and parents like these questions because they help everyone talk and laugh together, and they’re a great way for kids to think about what they like and why. Plus, they can be used anytime, anywhere – in class, at home, or during playtime!
How To Play The This or That Questions Game
Rules of Playing the This or That Game
The rules for playing the “This or That” questions game are simple and easy! One person asks a question with two choices, like “Would you rather play a board game or a video game?” Then, everyone else gets to pick which one they like best and maybe talk a little about why.
The most important rule is to be kind and listen to each other’s answers – no answer is wrong, and it’s fun to hear what everyone thinks! You can play with as many questions as you like, and it’s a great way for everyone to share and learn together.
How Do You Ask This or That Questions?
Asking “This or That” questions is super simple! All you have to do is think of two fun choices and ask others to pick their favorite. For example, you might ask, “Do you prefer pizza or burgers?” or “Would you rather read a book or watch a movie?” Then, let your friends or classmates choose what they like best and share their reasons if they want.
The main thing is to keep the questions friendly and fun so that everyone can enjoy sharing their thoughts and having a good time together!
400+ This or That Questions for Kids and Students
Food and Drink This or That Questions
- Burger or Hot Dog?
- Apples or Oranges?
- Milk or Juice?
- Chocolate Ice Cream or Vanilla Ice Cream?
- Pancakes or Waffles?
- Spaghetti or Mac and Cheese?
- Watermelon or Grapes?
- Cheese or Pepperoni Pizza?
- Popcorn or Chips?
- Brownies or Cookies?
- Strawberries or Blueberries?
- Gummy Bears or Chocolate Bars?
- French Fries or Onion Rings?
- Peanut Butter or Jelly?
- Hot Chocolate or Iced Tea?
- Only Ice Cream for Life or Only Pizza for Life?
- Dark Chocolate or Milk Chocolate?
- Chocolate Chip Cookies or Brownies?
- Grilled Cheese or BLT?
- Fancy Restaurant or Fast Food Truck?
Travel and Destinations This or That Questions
- Beaches or Mountains?
- Zoo or Aquarium?
- Amusement Park or Water Park?
- Camping or Hotel Stay?
- Train Ride or Bus Ride?
- Hiking or Biking?
- Big City or Small Town?
- Desert or Rainforest?
- Treehouse or Cave?
- Museum or Science Center?
- Road Trip or Plane Trip?
- Safari or Polar Expedition?
- Swimming Pool or Ocean?
- Pirate Ship or Spaceship?
- Castle or Skyscraper?
- Island or Mainland?
- Snow or Sand?
- Fruit Picking or Fishing?
- Horseback Riding or Camel Riding?
- Hot Air Balloon Ride or Submarine?
Entertainment This or That Questions
- Cartoons or Live-Action?
- Superheroes or Princesses?
- Comedies or Adventure Films?
- Pop Music or Rock Music?
- Board Games or Video Games?
- Magic Tricks or Juggling?
- Puzzles or Coloring Books?
- Dinosaurs or Aliens?
- Musicals or Plays?
- Ice Skating or Roller Skating?
- Story Books or Comic Books?
- Singing or Dancing?
- Crafting or Drawing?
- Puppet Show or Magic Show?
- Climbing or Bouncing?
- Stickers or Glitter?
- Playing an Instrument or Listening to Music?
- Nature Documentary or Animated Movie?
- Dress-Up or Hide and Seek?
- Scary Movie or Comedy?
Books and Literature This or That Questions
- Fiction or Non-Fiction?
- E-Books or Physical Books?
- Picture Books or Chapter Books?
- Mystery or Fantasy?
- Harry Potter or Hunger Games?
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Captain Underpants?
- Magic Tree House or Junie B. Jones?
- Dr. Seuss or Roald Dahl?
- Fairy Tales or Superhero Stories?
- Audiobooks or Reading Aloud?
- Graphic Novels or Traditional Novels?
- Science Fiction or Historical Fiction?
- Animals or Aliens?
- Libraries or Bookstores?
- Bookmarks or Dog Ears?
- Illustrations or Words Only?
- Biographies or Adventure Stories?
- Series or Standalone Books?
- Comics or Magazines?
- Poetry or Prose?
Technology This or That Questions
- Tablet or Laptop?
- Apple or Android?
- E-books or Physical Books?
- Headphones or Earbuds?
- Keyboard or Touch Screen?
- Robots or Drones?
- Virtual Reality or Augmented Reality?
- Science Apps or Math Apps?
- Video Calls or Text Messages?
- Smartwatch or Fitness Tracker?
- Digital Art or Traditional Art?
- Online Games or Offline Games?
- 3D Printing or Laser Cutting?
- Electric Car or Rocket Ship?
- Voice Assistant or Typing?
- Solar Power or Wind Power?
- Smartphone or Digital Camera?
- Wireless Charging or Cable Charging?
- Learn Coding or Graphic Design?
- Animated GIFs or Stickers?
Sports and Activities This or That Questions
- Soccer or Basketball?
- Swimming or Hiking?
- Snowboarding or Skateboarding?
- Dance or Gymnastics?
- Baseball or Football?
- Ice Skating or Roller Skating?
- Par-core or Obstacle Course?
- Fishing or Camping?
- Playing an Instrument or Singing?
- Jump Rope or Hula Hoop?
- Karate or Yoga?
- Running or Climbing?
- Jigsaw Puzzles or Board Games?
- Tennis or Badminton?
- Archery or Fencing?
- Surfing or Snowboarding?
- Building Models or Flying Kites?
- Snowball Fight or Laser Tag?
- Horseback Riding or ATV Riding?
- Bowling or Mini Golf?
Fantasy and Imagination This or That Questions
- Superpowers or Magic Spells?
- Time Travel or Space Travel?
- Dragons or Unicorns?
- Treasure Hunting or Exploring Hidden Worlds?
- Flying Superpower or Invisibility?
- Pirate Ship or Spaceship?
- Living in a Castle or a Treehouse?
- Talking Animals or Animated Objects?
- Mermaids or Fairies?
- Ride a Dinosaur or Befriend a Robot?
- Discovering Atlantis or Exploring the Moon?
- Wielding a Sword or a Wand?
- Becoming a Superhero or a Wizard?
- Exploring a Jungle or a Deserted Island?
- Having a Pet Dragon or a Pet Dinosaur?
- Finding a Magic Lamp or a Flying Carpet?
- Living in a Futuristic City or an Ancient Kingdom?
- Being a Detective or an Explorer?
- Meeting Aliens or Ghosts?
- Becoming a Prince/Princess or an Astronaut?
Fashion and Style This or That Questions
- T-shirts or Sweaters?
- Hats or Sunglasses?
- Sneakers or Boots?
- Pajamas or Onesies?
- Stripes or Polka Dots?
- Jeans or Leggings?
- Backpack or Tote Bag?
- Raincoat or Snowsuit?
- Bright Colors or Pastel Colors?
- Superhero Capes or Pirate Hats?
- Mismatched Socks or Funky Laces?
- Glitter or Glow-in-the-Dark?
- Dresses or Shorts?
- Flip Flops or Water Shoes?
- Scarves or Mittens?
- Bandanas or Hair Bows?
- Sports Jerseys or Character Shirts?
- Headbands or Hair Clips?
- Crown or Tiara?
- Slippers or Thick Socks?
Nature and Outdoors This or That Questions
- Beach or Forest?
- Climbing Trees or Digging in the Sand?
- Camping or Picnicking?
- Snowy Mountains or Tropical Islands?
- Flower Picking or Bug Catching?
- Bird Watching or Star Gazing?
- Gardening or Tree Planting?
- Hiking or Canoeing?
- Safari Adventure or Jungle Expedition?
- Chasing Butterflies or Collecting Seashells?
- Fossil Hunting or Berry Picking?
- Rainforest or Desert?
- Volcano Exploring or Cave Spelunking?
- Building Snowmen or Making Sandcastles?
- Watching Sunrises or Sunsets?
- Finding Animal Tracks or Identifying Plants?
- Riding Horses or Swimming with Dolphins?
- Skiing Downhill or Surfing Waves?
- Visiting a Waterfall or a Geysers?
- Exploring Coral Reefs or Tropical Rainforests?
Future Career and Work This or That Questions
- Astronaut or Zookeeper?
- Teacher or Scientist?
- Firefighter or Police Officer?
- Doctor or Veterinarian?
- Artist or Musician?
- Chef or Baker?
- Author or Movie Director?
- Farmer or Marine Biologist?
- Architect or Engineer?
- Pilot or Train Conductor?
- Dancer or Actor?
- Coder or Game Designer?
- Athlete or Coach?
- Fashion Designer or Photographer?
- Archaeologist or Historian?
- TV Host or Radio DJ?
- Magician or Circus Performer?
- Race Car Driver or Pilot?
- Cartoonist or Animator?
- Gardener or Environmentalist?
Time and Lifestyle This or That Questions
- Mornings or Evenings?
- Homework Right After School or After Playtime?
- Early Bird Breakfast or Sleep-In Brunch?
- Weekend Adventures or Lazy Saturdays?
- Reading Before Bed or Listening to Music?
- Indoor Play or Outdoor Adventures?
- Cooking with Family or Ordering Takeout?
- Biking to School or Riding the Bus?
- Summer Camp or Staycation?
- Family Movie Night or Game Night?
- Having a Pet or Having a Plant?
- Visiting the Library or the Park?
- Daily Journaling or Drawing?
- Eating Sweets or Salty Snacks?
- Participating in Sports or Watching Them?
- Crafting or Building with Blocks?
- Watching Cartoons or Reading Comics?
- Helping with Chores or Gardening?
- Sleeping with a Night Light or in the Dark?
- Celebrating Holidays with Gifts or with Food?
Cultural and Artistic Preferences This or That Questions
- Drawing or Painting?
- Clay Modeling or Paper Mache?
- Coloring Books or Blank Paper?
- Crayons or Markers?
- Making Bracelets or Necklaces?
- Origami or Scrapbooking?
- Chalk Art or Sidewalk Bubbles?
- Singing or Dancing?
- Building Sandcastles or Collecting Shells?
- Magic Tricks or Puppet Shows?
- Decorating Cookies or Cupcakes?
- Writing Stories or Poems?
- Museum Visits or Zoo Trips?
- Playing Musical Instruments or Listening to Music?
- Making Comics or Reading Them?
- Face Painting or Temporary Tattoos?
- Taking Photos or Making Videos?
- Creating Collages or Mosaics?
- Crafting with Beads or Buttons?
- Watching Plays or Participating in Them?
Relationships and Social Situations This or That Questions
- Playing in a Group or Playing Alone?
- Making New Friends or Hanging Out with Old Friends?
- Being the Leader or the Follower in Games?
- Sharing Stories or Listening to Stories?
- Playing Indoors or Playing Outdoors with Friends?
- Working in Teams or Working Individually on Projects?
- Joining Clubs or Playing Sports?
- Having a Best Friend or a Big Group of Friends?
- Hosting a Sleepover or Going to Someone’s Sleepover?
- Giving High Fives or Giving Hugs?
- Being a Night Owl or an Early Bird?
- Introvert or Extrovert?
- Talking Face-to-Face or Texting?
- Playing Board Games or Video Games with Friends?
- Doing Arts and Crafts or Building Things with Friends?
- Participating in Talent Shows or Watching Them?
- Going to Birthday Parties or Hosting Them?
- Helping Friends with Homework or Doing Homework Together?
- Starting a Lemonade Stand or a Bake Sale with Friends?
- Trading Stickers or Trading Cards with Friends?
Health and Wellness This or That Questions
- Eating Fruits or Vegetables?
- Jump Rope or Hula Hoop?
- Yoga or Martial Arts?
- Running or Cycling?
- Swimming or Gymnastics?
- Drinking Smoothies or Eating Salads?
- Playing Soccer or Basketball?
- Hiking or Camping?
- Skiing or Snowboarding?
- Drinking Water or Juice?
- Walking or Rollerblading?
- Climbing Trees or Playing on Swings?
- Dancing or Aerobics?
- Eating Nuts or Seeds?
- Playing Tag or Hide and Seek?
- Fishing or Bird Watching?
- Rowing or Paddling?
- Taking Vitamins or Eating Healthy Foods?
- Mindfulness or Meditation?
- Drawing or Journaling?
Historical and Educational This or That Questions
- History or Science?
- Astronomy or Geology?
- Learning about Kings and Queens or Presidents?
- Studying Ancient Greece or Ancient Rome?
- Learning with Videos or Reading Books?
- Writing Essays or Solving Math Problems?
- Exploring Space or the Ocean?
- Field Trips to Museums or Zoos?
- Learning about Pirates or Cowboys?
- Studying Insects or Plants?
- Art Class or Music Class?
- Learning a New Language or a New Instrument?
- Reading about Explorers or Inventors?
- Math Puzzles or Word Searches?
- Participating in Science Fairs or Spelling Bees?
- Learning about Volcanoes or Earthquakes?
- Studying Maps or Time Lines?
- Writing Poetry or Short Stories?
- Exploring Caves or Climbing Mountains?
- History Museum or Art Gallery?
Seasons and Weather This or That Questions
- Summer or Winter?
- Sunny Days or Rainy Days?
- Building Snowmen or Sandcastles?
- Jumping in Puddles or Crunching Leaves?
- Catching Snowflakes or Blowing Dandelions?
- Wearing Sunglasses or Scarves?
- Hot Chocolate or Lemonade?
- Ice Skating or Swimming?
- Going on a Picnic or Building a Snow Fort?
- Watching Fireworks or Lighting Lanterns?
- Collecting Seashells or Pinecones?
- Playing Frisbee or Sledding?
- Eating Watermelon or Pumpkin Pie?
- Wearing Flip Flops or Snow Boots?
- Growing Flowers or Carving Pumpkins?
- Camping under the Stars or Cozying up by the Fire?
- Flying Kites or Making Snow Angels?
- Feeding Ducks or Building Bird Feeders?
- Gazing at Rainbows or Falling Stars?
- Hunting for Easter Eggs or Trick-or-Treating?
- Humor and Funny This or That Questions
Silly and Funny This or That Questions
- Knock-Knock Jokes or Riddles?
- Being Tickled or Told a Funny Story?
- Making Funny Faces or Silly Noises?
- Playing Pranks or Watching Cartoons?
- Wearing Clown Noses or Groucho Glasses?
- Talking in a Funny Voice or Walking in a Silly Way?
- Squirting Water Flowers or Whoopie Cushions?
- Hearing a Chicken Joke or a Banana Joke?
- Wearing a Silly Hat or Funny Socks?
- Watching Slapstick Comedy or Puns?
- Drawing Funny Pictures or Creating Comic Strips?
- Playing with Puppets or Balloon Animals?
- Doing a Silly Dance or Singing a Funny Song?
- Pie in the Face or Slip on a Banana Peel?
- Speaking in Pig Latin or Gibberish?
- Laughing at Dad Jokes or Toilet Humor?
- Playing with Slime or Googly Eyes?
- Hearing Elephant Jokes or Fish Jokes?
- Making a Funny Meme or a Silly GIF?
- Spinning in a Dizzy Chair or Making a Silly Pose?
Mind and Philosophy This or That Questions
- Invisibility or Flying?
- Time Travel to the Past or the Future?
- Would you rather have a pet dinosaur or a pet dragon?
- Live on the Moon or Mars?
- Speak Every Language or Speak to Animals?
- Be a Giant or a Tiny Person?
- Have a Robot Friend or an Alien Friend?
- Live Underwater or in the Sky?
- Would you rather always have to tell the truth or always hear the truth?
- Have the Strength of a Hundred People or the Ability to Heal?
- Have a Magic Carpet or a Flying Car?
- Be able to Control Weather or Talk to Ghosts?
- Live in a World of Legos or a World of Play-Doh?
- Be the Fastest Person or the Smartest Person?
- Have Endless Knowledge or Endless Imagination?
- Be able to Breathe Underwater or Walk Through Walls?
- Always Feel Happy or Always Make Others Happy?
- Live in a Treehouse or a Castle?
- Be a Famous Inventor or a Famous Explorer?
- Have a Never-Ending Ice Cream Cone or a Never-Ending Pizza Slice?
Pop Culture This or That Questions
- Movies: Animated or Live Action?
- Music: Pop or Hip Hop?
- Social Media: TikTok Dances or Instagram Filters?
- TV Shows: Cartoons or Reality Shows?
- Gaming: Console or Mobile Games?
- Favorite Toy: Action Figures or Dolls?
- YouTube: Watching Vlogs or Unboxing Videos?
- Fashion Trend: Tie-Dye or Neon Colors?
- Celebrity: Movie Star or Pop Star?
- Snack: Popcorn or Candy?
- Favorite Superhero: Spider-Man or Wonder Woman?
- Comic Books: Marvel or DC?
- Dance Trend: The Floss or The Renegade?
- Favorite Animal Video: Puppy or Kitten?
- Emoji: Laughing Face or Heart Eyes?
- Art Supplies: Crayons or Markers?
- Stickers: Glittery or Glow in the Dark?
- Board Games: Monopoly or Candy Land?
- Book Series: Harry Potter or Percy Jackson?
- Outdoor Game: Tag or Hide and Seek?
Crazy and Weird This or That Questions
- Meet a friendly alien or find a dinosaur still alive?
- Become a Pirate or a Ninja?
- Go back to the time of Pharaohs or into the Future with Flying Cars?
- Invisibility or Ability to Fly?
- Ride a Unicorn or Fly with a Dragon?
- Chat with a Dog or a Cat?
- Have a tea party with a Mermaid or Play catch with a Dolphin?
- Bounce on the Moon or Slide on the Rings of Saturn?
- Rain of Jellybeans or Snowfall of Marshmallows?
- Be a giant or the size of an ant for a day?
- Always walk in slow motion or talk super-fast like a chipmunk?
- Wonderland with Alice or Neverland with Peter Pan?
- Have a mustache made of candy or eyebrows made of spaghetti?
- Always wear clothes backward or inside out?
- Step into a Cartoon World or a Video Game World?
- Fly on a Broomstick or Ride in a Flying Teacup?
- Be a Character in a Disney Movie or a Pixar Movie?
- Broccoli-flavored ice cream or Chocolate-flavored broccoli?
- Have a Pet Dinosaur or a Pet Dragon?
- Treasure Hunt: Search for a Pot of Gold at the end of a Rainbow or Dive for Sunken Pirate Treasure?
Special Occasions This or That Questions
- Halloween: Trick-or-Treating or Attending a Costume Party?
- Christmas: Decorating the Tree or Baking Cookies?
- Easter: Egg Hunt or Decorating Eggs?
- Birthday: Having a Party or Going on an Adventure?
- Valentine’s Day: Making Cards or Receiving Candy?
- Thanksgiving: Watching the Parade or Playing Football?
- New Year’s Eve: Watching Fireworks or Countdown on TV?
- 4th of July: Having a BBQ or Going to the Beach?
- Hanukkah: Lighting the Menorah or Playing Dreidel?
- Diwali: Lighting Diyas or Watching Fireworks?
- Mother’s Day: Making Breakfast in Bed or Creating a Handmade Gift?
- Father’s Day: Going Fishing or Making a Card?
- St. Patrick’s Day: Wearing Green or Searching for a Leprechaun?
- Chinese New Year: Watching a Dragon Dance or Receiving Red Envelopes?
- Cinco de Mayo: Having a Piñata or Eating Tacos?
- Earth Day: Planting a Tree or Cleaning up a Park?
- Veterans Day: Attending a Parade or Writing Thank-You Cards?
- Memorial Day: Having a Picnic or Visiting a Memorial?
- Labor Day: Going Camping or Having a BBQ?
- Groundhog Day: Hoping for Spring or More Winter?
This or That Topics To Avoid in the Game
- Offensive or Insensitive Questions
- Explicit or Inappropriate Content
- Personal Tragedies or Traumas
- Deeply Personal Secrets
- Controversial Stereotypes
- Any Topic That Makes Participants Uncomfortable
What Are Some Popular Categories for This or That Questions?
“This or That” questions can be crafted for a variety of topics, appealing to diverse interests and age groups. The most popular categories for crafting such questions include:
- Food and Drink
- Travel and Adventure
- Technology and Gadgets
- Books and Literature
- Sports and Activities
- Imagination and Fantasy
- Nature and Outdoors
- Fashion and Style
- Relationships, Friendships and Social Situations
- Career and Work
- Time and Lifestyle Routines
- Art, Creativity and Crafts
- Health, Wellness and Excercise
- History and Education
- Seasons and Weather
- Humor and Funny Scenarios
- Philosophy and Thought-Provoking Situations
- Pop Culture and Celebrities
- Holidays and Special Occasions
- Crazy and Weird Scenarios
These categories can help in formulating a variety of “This or That” questions tailored to different audiences and settings, making the game engaging and versatile.
How Many Questions Should I Prepare To Play the Game?
The number of This or That questions you should prepare depends on several factors, such as the number of participants, the time available, and the overall goal of the game. Here are a few scenarios to give you an idea:
- Casual/Family Gathering:
- 10-20 questions can be enough for a casual or family setting, lasting about 15-30 minutes, allowing each participant to answer and discuss their choices.
- Classroom/Team-Building Activity:
- For a classroom or team-building activity, preparing around 20-40 questions is a good idea. This could last between 30 minutes to an hour, providing ample time for discussion and interaction.
- Party/Event Setting:
- If “This or That” is a key activity at a party or an event, consider having 40-60 questions ready. This will help in keeping the participants engaged for an extended period, especially if the group is large.
- Online/Virtual Game:
- For an online or virtual setting, 15-30 questions can be sufficient, keeping the interaction lively and ensuring participants stay engaged in a virtual environment.
Remember, the quality and relevance of the questions also play a significant role in engagement, so it’s good to tailor the questions to the audience and occasion. It’s always better to be over-prepared and have more questions than you think you’ll need, just in case the conversation flows more quickly than anticipated.
Is the Game Suitable for All Ages?
The “This or That” game is a versatile and inclusive activity suitable for all age groups, provided the questions are tailored to be age-appropriate and considerate of participants’ experiences and interests. For younger children, questions should be simple and relatable, while for teenagers and adults, they can be more diverse, reflecting trends, preferences, and philosophical thoughts.
In family and educational settings, a balance of inclusive and engaging questions can foster interaction and learning. By being mindful of participants’ comfort levels and adapting questions accordingly, the game can be an enjoyable experience for everyone involved.
Can I Use These Questions in Various Settings, Like Parties, Team-Building, or Family Gatherings?
The versatile nature of “This or That” questions makes them suitable for a variety of settings, including parties, team-building events, and family gatherings. By tailoring the questions to the audience and the occasion, you can create an engaging and inclusive atmosphere that encourages interaction and conversation. Whether aiming for ice-breaking, bonding, or simply injecting fun into an event, these questions can be a valuable tool to achieve your goal, making the gathering memorable for all participants.
How Can I Ensure a Fun and Respectful Environment While Playing the Game?
Ensuring a fun and respectful environment while playing This or That involves crafting inclusive and age-appropriate questions, being mindful of participants’ comfort levels, and fostering a non-judgmental atmosphere.
Encouraging open-mindedness and accepting diverse opinions helps create a positive dynamic, while avoiding sensitive or potentially offensive topics maintains a sense of respect among players. Additionally, setting ground rules that promote courtesy and active listening can further contribute to a pleasant and engaging experience for everyone involved in the game.
Have Fun and Foster a Connection With This or That Questions
As we’ve seen, this game is a simple way to spark conversations and help kids express themselves. It’s all about sharing, learning, and having fun together. Even adults can learn to spark conversation with a simple question like, “Hot coffee or iced coffee?” when meeting new people.
So next time you’re looking for an activity for your kids or students, remember these questions and watch as the room fills with laughter and joy. Thanks for joining us on this fun journey, and happy questioning!